Who We Are
The Regenerative Agricultural Association of South Africa (RegenAg SA) is a nonprofit, education and advocacy organization that is working to stop the catastrophic consequences of Industrial Agriculture by facilitating farmers and consumers in transitioning to Regenerative Agriculture.
- Healthy soils make healthy plants which make healthy people
- Healthy soils sequester carbon and mitigate climate change
- Healthy soils fix our water cycles
- Healthy soils are less prone to erosion
RegenAg SA is concerned with educating farmers and consumers about the true cost of Industrial Agriculture - the depletion of soils, the destruction of the carbon cycles, the dependency on fossil fuels, the high greenhouse gas emissions and human health implications - and showing how Regenerative Agriculture is the solution to most of these problems. Our goal is to redirect South African agriculture toward regenerative methods that rebuild our soils, reduce input costs, protect and enhance the natural environment, mitigate climate change, produce nutrient dense healthy foods, promote biodiversity, animal welfare and economic justice to farmers and farm workers.
We are working towards the transition that puts agriculture in its rightful place as a source of health and a solution to many of our ecological woes, rather than a primary cause!
Aims and Goals
- convert South Africa to farming Regeneratively
- create a Regenerative Agriculture ecosystem for collaboration, research and knowledge transfer
- assist with the development of Regenerative Agriculture markets
- educate farmers & consumers on the benefits of Regenerative Agriculture
- assist farmers to transition to Regenerative Agriculture
- create partnerships with processors and retailers
- Regenerate farming communities
- push Regenerative Agriculture with the government
Regenerative Agriculture Definition
There is no one definition, this is ours: Regenerative Agriculture is a system of farming principles and practices that strive to regenerate soils by restoring the carbon cycle, the water cycle and the nutrient cycle and in the process produce nutrient dense foods while restoring the soil's other crucial eco-system services.
When faced with the enormity of the climate change scenario most people close down and move onto something more digestible. One of the great advantages of this soil based climate solution is that doing something is accessible to so many more people than other grandiose solutions.
So what can we do?
- Spread the word - most farmers don't know what Regenerative farming is
- Where you can purchase from Regenerative farmers
- If you are a farmer, no matter how small, change to Regenerative farming
- If you are a retailer transition to Regenerative Agriculture
- Pressure your governments to support Regenerative Agriculture
Together we can get the carbon back in the soil while improving our food and our health.
These are the the 5 main principles of healthy soil for Regenerative Agriculture.
Video: South African Regenerative Farmer Bertie Coetzee
JOIN THE MOVE
Farmers, suppliers, processors, retailers join the move to fixing our soils.